Pages

Tuesday 15 May 2012

Getting motivated ... again.

I seem to have come round to that time again when I'm losing some heart with my writing.  I have doubts about what I'm writing and if it's actually worth it.
The main reason for this of course is because it's been a few days since I last did any proper writing.  After having everyone ill for a bit and subsequently having to de-germ the entire house, I haven't had much time to sit and focus.

I can tonight though!  Everything else is done, there is nothing on the television (as usual!) so I can sit down for at least an hour and try and focus on something.  I'm so excited my mind is racing with what to choose.  Shall I work on some of my novel?  Start a new short story?  Try and rework an old short story?  The possibilities are endless.  And herein lies another problem.  Whatever I choose to do I'll probably worry that I should have done one of the others.  I'm too impatient and I just want to finish everything now!

So here's a little therapy session for me.  I'm going to pick one thing to work on and focus entirely on that.  At least I'll be making a little progress somewhere then ...

6 comments:

  1. I call those small goals, and yes, they help you feel a sense of accomplishment. Whatever works to get you back into the momentum.

    I keep a monthly calendar and hang it by my writing desk. A visual reminder, not digital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to try that. Having a digital calendar is all well and good but you have to turn your computer on first ...

      Delete
  2. Moving forward, even slowly, is better than spinning your wheels! Good luck with your projects this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. It's a slow process but a worthy one.

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I totally feel your pain. I manage to trap myself in the very same mindset you're talking about on a very regular basis. It drives me bonkers! I hope you had a productive evening the other day and felt good about what you'd written :)

    ~ Rhonda Parrish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I managed to write a little but my mind wasn't really in the zone. I've been reading a lot to get some more inspiration and I think it's just starting to take effect.

    ReplyDelete