Pages

Thursday 15 November 2012

Wedneday Blog Hop - Daddy's Little Girl

So, it's been a little while but I've got a contribution to this weeks Snapshot Blog Hop.  And it's only a day after the criteria is posted, so yay me!




For those of you who may be unfamiliar, the Wednesday Blog Hop is a brilliant link up organised by  Chasing Revery and The World of My Imagination, and ably assisted by a few guest hosts too.

Each Wednesday they provide a picture prompt and five key words, all of which need to be melded together to give a little yarn of up to 500 words.  You then have until the following week to knock something together, post on your blog and link up at their pages to spread the love.

This week the key elements are:


                               Peaked, geothermal, livestock, mutual, hydroelectric


I found this weeks prompts particularly tricky, especially with the words given, but I've given it a go nonetheless.  If I'm honest I'm not too sure about this one.  I kind of knew what I wanted to get across but I'm not sure I've achieved this.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I've offered.

Without further ado:

Daddy's Little Girl


I watched Hayley and Aaron heading off up the corridor, trying not to think about how I'd nearly lost them. She didn't have a scratch on her. He hadn't been that lucky, but at least he still escaped with his life. The doctors say he may learn to walk again once he gets used to his prosthetic.
I'd never considered his job to be all that dangerous. If I had I would never have let him take our daughter with him to test the new facility. For some reason I had the impression that renewable energy was safe, but I guess electricity can be dangerous no matter where it comes from.
The new hydroelectric plant had been all Aaron had been talking about for weeks. It was a nice change for him after spending so long working on geothermal recovery, a chance to stretch his wings a little. He'd managed to get Hayley interested in it too, and was keen to show her what he and his team had been putting together. I had no objections, we had a mutual opinion when it came to involving her in our own interests, plus I think he was proud to show off his little girl to his work colleagues. She was a bright little thing, even for a four year old, and she never ceased to amaze either of us with how quickly she'd pick things up.
With this in mind he was trying to get her keen on joining his campaign for renewable energy, and taking her along to see it was all part of the fun.
He only took his eye off her for a moment, but that's all it takes with little ones. Her attention had been caught by some livestock in a neighboring field and she'd wandered over to see them.
The explosion was sudden, and the sides of the building were already flying through the air by the time Aaron realised that Hayley was no longer holding his hand. He whirled around frantically until he saw her and raced over to shield her from any debris. As he was running he could see the flames as they rose and peaked high in the sky, and the large sheets of building being sent in all directions. A particularly large piece was heading straight for our little girl and he'd pumped his legs to reach her; the last time that he would. As he grabbed her he'd felt the impact against his back. It pushed them both to the ground and he tried his best not to crush her. His legs were not so lucky from the onslaught of the building fragments, one large enough to cut through his leg just above his knee. Hayley had been crying and calling out as he passed out from the pain.
I could hear her now, chattering away as she pushed her daddy along. 'Don't worry daddy, I'll take care of you. Just like you did with me.'

Word count:  496
   


4 comments:

  1. Heather--Well done! You did a great job incorporating the words, and I agree, they were tricky. I like how you created a complete story under the word deadline. Impressive. Keep writing! They're fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I've had a writing boost this week and I'm looking forward to the next prompt.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh man that was simply AWESOME.... You did a great job w/ the prescribed words (which incidentally I chose using the close your eyes and pick from a dictionary). To be honest, I don't see myself doing near as well. Guess we'll see how I do when I start to write - which is when I'll actually start trying to peace everything together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tena for the kind words. It's always a pleasure when people like what I have to offer.

      Delete