Pages

Monday 26 August 2013

A Song of Ice and Fire Book Club - Chapters 44-58: eggs, brothers and exiles



House Musk

Welcome to the penultimate round up for the A Song of Ice and Fire Book Club, A Game of Thrones edition.

I have embarked on this journey with fellow Book Clubbers mithrilwisdom, the host and brain behind the club, Allison at Geek Banter and Ria at Bibliotropic.

Each of us has posed a question for the others, so make sure to check out what the others had to say about this weeks topics.

We're all about Starks, eggs, brothers and exiles this week.



From Jamie:

Why do you think Jon Snow goes to such great lengths to protect and help out Sam Tarly?

Sam has been disowned by his father and has no real place in the world. Jon can identify with this, perhaps more so than with the criminals (or so-called criminals) that have been sent to the Wall to fight beside him. He has already taken steps to help the others improve their skills, but Sam is much more vulnerable than they are. He has also become a particular target for Ser Allister so any opportunity that Jon can seize to get one over him is all the better.


Also, as a bonus question,

On a scale of one to awesome, how did it feel to read Viserys getting his comeuppance? Golden crowns all round!

Super-awesome! I loved the way Drogo dispatched of his brother-in-law, and now Daenerys can grow to be the true dragon.


From Allison:
Why do you think so much emphasis is put on Dany's dragon eggs in the story so far?

I think this is a pre-emptive strategy. It's clear that they will have some significant role in the future, now that she is the last remaining dragon. Daenerys is discovering her own inner strengths and I think this is tied in with the eggs somehow.


What I'm reading: 
From Ria:
What do you think of the chapters from Bran's perspective? Do they more like filler material, a means to see what's going on where other main characters can't be, or do you think there's going to be something more important that he'll take a central role in?
  
I haven't been seeing them as fillers. Bran is now the lord of Winterfell, following the departure of first his father and now his brother, so he has a responsibility to those around him. At this point I couldn't really say where I think his character is going and what may be in store for him, but I'm sure it'll be something important.


From me:
Ser Jorah Mormont has been by Daenerys as she has grown amongst the Dothraki. We know he has a price on his head by Ned Stark and cannot return home without facing death.
Do you think he's helping Daenerys as part of a new life for himself, or rather he sees her as his ticket back to his homeland? 

 
In the beginning I think Jorah saw his service to Daenerys as a duty to be done as something to do. She has come to rely on him more and more as their journey has progressed, and I think a bond is forming between them. I think he would have mixed feelings if they were ever able to cross the seas and make it to Westeros about what would be waiting for him, even if he were part of a strong army.
Daenerys is unaware of his past at this point and I wonder how she'd feel if (or when) she learned the truth about him. I believe he would probably follow her wherever she went though, whether it was across the sea or not.


The next installment of the A Song of Ice and fire Book Club will be the final part of the first book, A Game of Thrones. I'm certainly looking forward to it and moving on to the next, A Clash of Kings.

Have you enjoyed our discussions so far?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the first few books in the series. I won't spoil it by saying anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. I'm looking forward to moving on to the next one, so it's good to know they'll still be enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. I'm in two minds about Mormont - I can't properly determine his motives. He doesn't seem the type to follow someone around, especially someone who doesn't have much of a chance to get back to Westeros with the army she needs. I think he's got at least some bets against Dany as his ticket back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would certainly be daft to leave himself without any kind of a back up plan. It'll be interesting to see what happens with his character.

      Delete
  3. I like Mormont--and I also really like the actor playing him in the show. He does a good job! I also wonder what his motives are, though.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete