Pages

Wednesday 7 August 2013

Space to write - An IWSG post

This post is part of the Insecure Writers Support Group. A great place for sharing all those insecurities we writers have, and for offering advice and support for our fellows. To join in head over to Alex J Cavanaugh's blog, you can check out what other people are posting about and sign up yourself too. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Do you have a designated place to do your writing? Is it always the same spot regardless?

I've been trying out different places to try and find where I can be the most productive. It's difficult a lot of the time, the house we live in is really quite small and our five year old seems to have a lot of things. Whichever room I go into there seems to be toys somewhere, even in our bedroom!

I'm beginning to realise that to get any proper work done I need peace and quiet, which we all know is probably the hardest thing to come by on a regular basis. I can't work in the living room as my husband usually watches something on the tv and the sound is too distracting. If I go upstairs to our bedroom I can close the door and drown out the noise, but I can't get comfortable, there is no desk or anything to get set up properly.

We have a conservatory, but there is no heating or power for lighting so I can't go in there when it's dark. I find I'm just carrying around my laptop and notes from one place to another without any proper base of operations to work from. 

I'm managing to get some things done, but it's not easy. I'm looking forward to when we move to a bigger place next spring, then I can get in there and find a spot all for myself. In fact, I think I'll probably be bearing it in mind when we're viewing places.

At the moment I'm very tempted to set up shop in my car to enjoy the quiet and solitude. I could even get a little caravan to set up on the driveway to escape to, but that's not a cheap answer and I'm not sure my husband would be keen on it.

What do you do to get away from the bustle of the house?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS. While I write this my daughter is noisily playing hopscotch in the living room and slurping very loudly on an ice lolly. 

Please, help me!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 comments:

  1. I have this same problem. My computer is set up in the main room of the house, so when someone else is home I struggle to get any writing done. I need to find a space of my own, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough trying to find it, especially as I don't really need that much room. Good luck with your search.

      Delete
  2. I have a space in a room that serves multiple functions. But it works for me. It's quiet most of the time.

    Have fun reading Game of Thrones. I managed to read all 5 of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving Game of Thrones, I expect to read all of them through and get ahead of the HBO series. Then I'll have the upper hand over those who have see it before me, mwahahahaha!

      Delete
  3. I have a room of my own now but most of my motherhood/adulthood I did not. I'd make a corner in our bedroom with a comfy chair and with a pen and notebook I'd be alright. After the kids were asleep of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, getting the kids to sleep is a must. The beauty of a pen and notebook is their wonderful portability, so I can at least get cosy somewhere.

      Delete
  4. I have no place to write - as I type this I'm laid out on the sofa with the laptop balanced on my lap. I can't wait to move into a bigger flat with a spare room so I can have an office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An office would be so wonderful! At the moment, my office is wherever I can hide away from everything else. My car is a tempting choice.

      Delete
  5. I really can't write at home. There are just too many distractions. Kids, husband, the phone, things around the house to get done, the phone, work, the phone, kids LOL. I have a library near by that comes equipped with a quaint little coffee shop. I set up show by a large glass wall that overlooks a lake. I swear it is my dream spot and I say for hours. It's my personal escape :)

    Meredith
    Meredith’s Musings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds wonderful Meredith. I have thought about going out somewhere to find a place, but the problem with little ones is having to negotiate going out time with my husband. There's always an obstacle to overcome!
      I'm definitely going to bear this option in mind though.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete