Pages

Thursday 6 October 2011

Changing tactics ...

So I'm trying to get a bit more pro-active about my writing.  As well as setting time aside each evening to concentrate on something creative I'm exploring avenues for getting work published.

I have been a subscriber to Writers Magazine for a fair few months now and always look forward to it landing on my doorstep at the beginning of each month.  The first thing I do is go straight to the competition pages and see what the topics are.  My head then buzzes with plenty of ideas for each one and I mentally plan when I can do them.  Unfortunately all of that stays in my head until it gets lost in the ether somewhere seemingly irretrievable.  I finally come to try and write something a week before the deadline and all the good ideas I had are nowhere to be seen.
Of course we all know that one week before any deadline is never a good time to start on something.  There's no time to leave it and go back to it and reflect.
So I'm adapting my strategy now, and writing down notes for each competition when I first read about them and putting them in order of deadlines.

I am also trying to keep positive when I go past the deadline and I still only have a first draft.  In the past I have abandoned stories at this point and they are now all sitting on my laptop waiting to be finished.  
So now, instead of thinking they are useless because the competition has passed I am going to finish them and post them on Shortbread Stories.  I only have one story on there so far so it will be good to build up my portfolio on the website.  At the end of the day, no story is ever wasted; there is always an outlet in some form or other waiting for your submission.

I would highly recommend Writers Magazine, it is full of ideas and tips to help writers.  It is certainly boosting my confidence in the writing department and I hope to be submitting my first competition entry soon!

I will keep you posted.

Until next time,

H x

2 comments:

  1. Aye! The best laid schemes o' mice and men...I sincerely wish that it all comes together for you. Take care of yourself, and if you can't be good, be brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,

    I just subscribed to your blog, I am a fellow writer from the Writer's Bureau. Did not know about Shortbread Stories, so I found your article insightful, thank you. :)

    Here's my blog, if you want to follow:
    http://damselindistresswrite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete