Pages

Friday 23 March 2012

A true inspiration ...

It wasn't a conscious decision to sit down and watch John Bishops Week of Hell for Sport Relief last night, but once the programme started I was totally gripped.

I've always liked John Bishop as a comedian, his particular style and sense of humour is definitely on my level.  He never struck me as a particularly sporty type, but then I suppose you can't really judge things like that on appearance alone.

I was completely blown away by his acheivements for Sport Relief.  He started in Paris and cycled to Calais, rowed the 26 miles across the Channel and then completed three marathons in three days to get back to London.  In all this totalled 295 miles. 
Any of these components would be a feat in themselves but to do them all back-to-back in just five days is truly amazing. 
He was nearly broken on the row across the Channel but with a crew of Freddie Flintoff, Denise Lewis and Davina McCall he managed to get the energy from somewhere and carry on. 

Finally to run three marathons in three days, the final part of which he had a broken leg, he must have been on the point of delirium for a lot of it.  But the British public rallyed and spurred him on right up until the end.
Seeing this feat of human endurance really makes me feel that I haven't done anything as worthwhile, even jumping out of a plane for charity isn't as much of an accomplishment as a near-300 mile trek under one's own steam. 

This story of his endurance is not the only thing I find inspirational.  Up until six years ago he was still a regular guy with a regular job, and then he made the decision to just get on with what he really wanted to do. I think in a lot of cases many people wouldn't even bother, feeling that it was too late to make such a drastic life change. 
This didn't stop him though and he carried on with it and made a success of his career.

This is just the kind of boost that I have been needing.  It's easy to sit back and think that it's too late, why bother, will I really be any good?  The only way to find out is to cast aside your doubts and just get on with it.  I for one am ready to move forward and start making changes, to stop faffing about with what if's and just see what happens.

Has anyone else been inspired by anything particular that has motivated a major change in your life?

For more information on John's achievements, see http://www.sportrelief.com/whats-on/celebrity-challenges/bishops-week-of-hell

No comments:

Post a Comment