Pages

Saturday 11 April 2015

Immerse yourself #AtoZChallenge

This post is part of the A-Z Blogging Challenge 2015. If this is something new to you, check out the website here to find out all you need to know.

My topics this year are covering studying and/or writing advice and guidance, to maybe help you as you cope with everything else in life.



 Immerse yourself


I don't know about you guys, but most of the time I'm trying to juggle a lot of different things seemingly all at once. When I'm doing one thing, I have a niggle at the back of my mind saying I should be doing one of the other things. With my concentration distracted like this, I don't do as good a job as I should be doing.

I'm trying a different tack now though, and I'm trying to ignore the other things and fully immerse myself in the task at hand. I find a timer is very handy for this, I set it to go and then forget about everything except what I'm doing. I let myself get completely into the world I'm writing about, or reading about, and let my mind wander free when I'm there.

I know I'm not going to get carried away so much that I miss something else (like collecting the children!) because I've set that timer, so I can let myself go and get more out of the time I spend on the task.

I work my way through my to-do list in this way, trying to forget about the rest of the things on it, concentrating on one at a time. It's a work in progress, but I'll get there I'm sure.

Do you have similar distractions when you're trying to focus?

(P.S. I'm hoping nobody has noticed that I've posted this a day late. Sshh, it'll be our little secret ...)



2 comments:

  1. I like that you use a timer because that's something I've resorted to when I've have a bunch of things to get done. Sometimes I'll make up a list of things to do and I'll work down them, giving myself a set time to do each. I hate leaving things unfinished so when the timer goes off I have to move onto the next one, which motivates me to go back and complete anything left unfinished.

    This also works if I'm writing. It's much easier to pick up a story if you finish for the day in the middle of a sentence. I always find that if I end my writing at the end of a scene, it's much harder to get into it again the next time I pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try this method. I, too, feel stuck when I come back to something, mulling over where it's going to go next.

      Delete