Pages

Monday 27 April 2015

Why are you doing it? #AtoZChallenge

This post is part of the A-Z Blogging Challenge 2015. If this is something new to you, check out the website here to find out all you need to know.

My topics this year are covering studying and/or writing advice and guidance, to maybe help you as you cope with everything else in life.

 

Why are you doing it?

This post is very much linked to my post for V, Value what you're doing. If you can honestly answer the question 'Why are you writing/studying?', without hesitation, then you are probably on the right track doing what you're doing.

It's something of a myth amongst non-writers that writing a novel or a bunch of short stories is a guaranteed way to make some money. All of us actual writers spend a lot of time guffawing on the inside at such outrageous optimism. Alright, this may happen to a select few writers who make it really big really quick, and often with sub-standard material. Then, why can't the rest of us?

The truth is, it takes such a long time to produce good quality work that an author can be proud of, that money making is usually not the primary reason for doing it. Personally, writing is a cheap form of therapy, an escape from the real world into one where I'm in control (mwahahahaha!). But seriously, my main reason for doing writing and studying is my own enjoyment, crafting something from my own imagination and seeing where the characters lead themselves. Or reading something and understanding aspects of it that I'd never even considered before. 

Sure, I send things off to competitions, and one day I hope to send something larger off to be considered, but the main reason for doing this is to see if I'm really good enough to get out there. That in itself would be a huge achievement for me.

I've let a few people read my stories and the feedback is mostly good. More than one person has asked when I'm sending my next piece, and I'm chuffed that they actually look forward to reading it.  They like what I'm writing. And if I can make someone happy by giving them something enjoyable to read, then I know I've been doing it for the right reasons.

 

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly right! I'd still write even if I didn't publish because writing is what I love doing. Even just making one reader happy is worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete