Pages

Friday 3 April 2015

Commit to completion #AtoZChallenge


This post is part of the A-Z Blogging Challenge 2015. If this is something new to you, check out the website here to find out all you need to know.

My topics this year are covering studying and/or writing advice and guidance, to maybe help you as you cope with everything else in life.  

 

Commit to completion


I looked through my Dropbox files the other day at all the projects I've started over the last five years. There are more than just a few, I was actually surprised at how many ideas I seem to have conjured from my imagination.

However, I can count on one hand the amount of stories that I have actually completed to a satisfying finish. For whatever reason I lose interest in the story, or my doubts over how good the idea is start to surface and I abandon it.

Despite being highly unproductive, it also pushes my writing morale further south than I'd like it to. One thing I need to get better at is finishing a project, committing myself to it until it's in a submittable state.

Doing my Open University studies in creative writing has helped hugely, the fixed deadlines for each assignment mean I have to get my stories in on time. And it's a satisfying feeling to know that I've actually finished something properly.

Not only that, I have a few stories that I can send out to places now. So, my advice to you (and myself) would be to make sure you finish something, even when your interest in it wanes. You may need to leave it for a day or two, but no longer or there is a risk of it falling off your creative radar.

Just give it a go and tell me it's not satisfying ...


8 comments:

  1. That's a biggie for me. I have many projects started but finishing takes discipline. I am determined to finish the projects I need to finish, and perhaps let the others go. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luana. Determination is a good weapon to have in the fight against these unfinished projects. Good luck with them!

      Delete
  2. I have a couple of projects which are unfinished, but I know I will get back to them at some point - I never completely abandon anything, I'm far too stubborn for that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have that knowledge that you'll return to them at some point, almost like a safety net not to worry.

      Delete
  3. You sound a bit like me, I definitely work better when I'm facing a deadline. At least you're storing all those unfinished ideas so that you can go back to them in the future if the inspiration hits you. :-)

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. If I'm having a blind spot with what to write, I have plenty of material to call upon.

      Delete
  4. I totally agree, there's nothing like finishing a story to make you enthusiastic about writing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely, Laura. The more I actually finish, the more I want to get things finished. It's a nice circle to be in.

      Delete