Pages

Saturday 28 April 2012

X ray still pending ...

It's been a frustrating few weeks for me.  I've had the odd bout of RSI over the last few years, but mostly it's only lasted a couple of days and then after a weekends rest it goes away.
Not this time though, I'm now going into week 8 of this episode.

The pain conecntrates around my thumb of my right hand, both in the muscle at the base and all along the digit.  I can just about type without too much discomfort, especially when I wear my brace, but writing by hand is totally out of the question.  If I wear my brace it looks like my 3 year olds writing, if I don't wear it my hand cramps up in  pain.
The pain also seems to be migrating up and along my arm almost as far as my shoulder.  It makes lots of every day activities very difficult and painful.  It's the writing that I'm the most frustrated with though.
I used to keep a daily, handwritten journal, but there's no way I can do that now.  I can barely write two lines.  I look at people admiringly now when I see them scribbling away, it's something that I love doing but can't.  When I'm at the development stage of a story I much prefer jotting things down on paper, having thought diagrams for everything often with lines and arrows all over the place.  I just can't achieve the same effect using the laptop.

I endeavour though, my writing is one of the few precious things keeping me sane at the moment.  I've seen the doctor and the occupational therapist and am currently waiting for an x ray and to see orthopaedic triage.  Unfortunately it could be up to two weeks just to get the appointment through.

Lovely!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather. It sounds awful and it must be especially difficult for you as you love writing so much. I once waited so long for an x-ray on a broken collar bone that by the time my appointment came through, it had healed up.

    Hope you get sorted soon!

    ReplyDelete