Pages

Monday 22 July 2013

Express Yourself - Writing ups and downs


                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Express Yourself meme is a weekly jaunt brought to you by Dani at Entertaining Interests and Jackie at Bouquet of Books. At the beginning of the month the girls will post a gadget with a list of topics, something different for each week. Make sure to head on over to either of these blogs to check out the details more fully and see who else is taking part.

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





This weeks topic of conversation: What is the most frustrating/satisfying thing about being a writer?

 
One of the most frustrating things about writing is not being able to find the time. I know it's one of those things that we all suffer from now and again, not finding even half an hour in the day to sit back and get some words down.
The things that prevent us usually revolve around the family, and so they in themselves are meaningful and worthwhile activities, but we can't help the niggle of annoyance we feel that the time has passed too quickly and we have been unable to add to the word count.

On the flip side though, getting a good session of 1000+ words in is definitely satisfying. Knowing that you've made some progress towards a finished piece, no matter how small, is always a good feeling, and submitting it somewhere is even better. There is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment that I hope will not wane each time I finish something.


What do you find frustrating or satisfying about being a writer?

If you're not a writer, how can you apply the same to something you are doing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

  1. I completely agree. It's so hard for me to find the time and so incredibly frustrating that I don't get enough of it. It'll be a little bit easier once school starts up again, but summer is tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two weeks off work over the summer, but with a five year old to contend with I don't know if my output will increase significantly. There's always something isn't there?

      Delete
  2. I almost never feel as though I have enough time for writing, but I just have to be all right with knowing that I'm doing the best I can—as do we all, I think.

    And you're right...getting 1000+ words down in a sessions is a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of being alright with what I can do. It's hard not to feel like you're letting yourself down, but there are other things that sometimes have priority.

      Delete
  3. Ah, yes. Time! I forgot that one. And yep, those 1000k or more times are so fulfilling! Thanks for participating in EYM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Jackie. I'm really enjoying the EYM, gives me something to post about every Monday :-)

      Delete
  4. Finding time to write is a constant struggle. I hate when I do finally get to sit down and the words don't flow. But I love those magical sessions where everything clicks and you get lost in the writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frustrating when you finally get to sit at the desk and you spend most of it staring at a blank page.
      Then when I'm super busy, all these thoughts and ideas pop into my head, and I'm without my notebook. Just can't win!

      Delete
  5. Finding the time to write is always a challenge. We all live such busy lives!

    ReplyDelete