Pages

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Daily word counts ...


Over Christmas I was getting ready for the start of the New Year, determined that I was going to make something of my writing.  I set myself some goals that were quite realistic; I wasn’t by any means setting myself any unachievable tasks.

One of these goals was to write at least 3000 words a week, which could be counted from any of my writing be it blogs, journals or stories.
I started out quite well, and for most weeks I’ve managed to get over the 3000 mark.  The last couple of weeks though, I’ve really gone downhill and I’ve barely managed 100.  

In my defence one week was spent lying on the sofa barely able to move with the cold and flu.  I am also suffering with severe RSI in my right hand which is now spreading all up my arm.  I had been doing really well keeping a daily journal which was completely hand written, but unfortunately I’ve had to knock that on the head.  I tried typing instead but it just doesn’t have the same appeal as proper writing by hand.

So my daily word count has been seriously dwindling, as has some of my enthusiasm.  I began to wonder if it was really healthy to keep such a strict eye on what I was doing each week, and if it was putting too much pressure on me to meet the target.

After a couple of weeks of almost non-existent productivity though, I now know that keeping track of how much I’m writing in a week is definitely a good thing, at least for me anyway.  Knowing I’ve got this target spurs me on to get things done and as we all know, when you get going you get into a rhythm that becomes easy to maintain. 
Doing this daily blog has certainly boosted my word count for this week, and long may it continue!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Heather, I know the feeling. I haven't got anywhere with my writing this week apart from the blog.
    Keep going, it has to pay rewards in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Heather! I had pretty much lost a lof my interest or desire to blog nd this has really spurred me on! I am not remembering why I love writing. Here's to writing in not only quality and abundance long after the challenge is over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I know exactly what you mean. Life has a way of always throwing us curve balls and seems especially when we are reaching for a goal. It is like it is saying, "hey , you really want this? Come and get it!" Well, I don't know about you, but I really want it! Keep on writing and push through. Also, thanks for stopping by my blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete