Pages

Thursday 26 April 2012

Vampires and Werewolves ...is there still room for more?


OK, so I know I’m cheating a little here by combining V and W together, but after rushing my daughter to the doctors this week with breathing difficulties, which is about as much stress and anguish as I can handle,  I’m not feeling too bad about missing one evening.
I’m really thinking about the whole Vampire v Werewolf scenario and just wondering if there is really any room left for any new variants on either theme.  There are so many books and/or movies that come to mind, Buffy/Angel, Twilight, Underworld, True Blood, Vampire Diaries, to name but a few.  Is this an area that has been done to death, as it were?
I very much enjoy a good vampire and werewolf story, and many are adapted for different audiences.  The Twilight saga is very definitely for the teen market whereas True Blood is a bit more grown up (at least the TV show is!). 
At some point I think I’d be interested in writing something along these lines, I’ll have to get creative though and put an even newer spin on it.  Either that or go back to the classics.  Bram Stoker’s Dracula is still the best.

4 comments:

  1. I hope your daughter is feeling better. About werewolves and vampires, I love the vampiric lore but we need to go back to the basics; let vampires and werewolves live on their own corners of the world without mixing, and making them scary again. This has become such common theme that I doubt there can be any warm welcome for new books for a while, but you never know, great stories have alway a place.

    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is much better thanks. I agree about going back to basics, the old school way of doing things. Maybe all this hype is just offering the time to develop and hone something new, ready to be offered when it all dies down.

      Delete
  2. Of course there's room for more, but it just needs to be original only--the same. :)

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make it into an interesting challenge, and certainly something I've been pondering or a while. I might leave it ticking away for a little while and see what comes up.

      Delete