Pages

Saturday 14 April 2012

Motivation

OK, so I know this is coming straight after my last post, but I have a busy day today and I'm worried I'll forget again.  I can't actually believe I'm posting two blogs today, I think I may be getting the hang of this!

Anyway, todays post is about motivation and what keeps you going with your writing.  When I first started out, inevitably my head was filled with wonderful dreams of writing my first novel in six months, having it picked up straight away and making lots of money from it.  Boy did I have a lot to learn!
Now I've been doing it for a while I've woken up to the reality that it can be a hard job earning from writing and even if you manage it, it may not be as fabulous and glamorous as first thought.

None of this has put me off though, in fact I'm pleased to say I'm past that phase and my motivations have changed for the better.  I write because I love exploring characters and scenarios and seeing where they go when they take on a life of their own.  I also want to improve my writing, taking criticism and using it to make myself better.
My main hope is just that people will like what I write and will want to see more.  That kind of positivity is reward enough.

Of course if I manage to publish for profit then that'll be a bonus, but for now I'm happy typing away.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you and encourage you to continue, it is rewarding when you do finally publish. There is a world of writer's out there who support each other and endeavour to motivate one another, you just need to find a group you feel comfortable with. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I agree eleventy-seven percent. A lot of people think that if they write a book they will be independently wealthy. Not! If writing a book was so easy, there would be no readers. Think about it. Changing ones motivations releases the stress of wanting to be published. If we are doing what we love to do, the success will generally follow at some point in time. Be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life Happens, Things Happen... Just pick up & continue... feels good doesn't it.
    Kate
    Follow & A to Z Visit http://solidhappiness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting, thats life I guess :)

    do check out my letters at GAC a-z

    ReplyDelete